Cintas Settles Oklahoma Wrongful Death Lawsuit

The Cintas Corporation, a Cincinnati Ohio based uniform company, agreed to settle an Oklahoma wrongful death lawsuit brought by the widow of an employee who was killed after falling into an industrial dryer while attempting to clog a jam without shutting down machinery first – a safety violation that employees were allegedly encouraged to do.

Oklahoma personal injury lawsuit

According to the Associated Press, Amalia Diaz Torres's husband, Eleazar, worked for the Cintas Corporation in Tulsa Oklahoma for seven years in an industrial uniform cleaning center. However, Eleazar fell into an industrial dryer in 2007 after climbing atop a stack of clothing which had become stuck. Although this was against safety regulations, management allegedly knew about the practice – and even encouraged it – so that machinery would not have to be shut down. Unfortunately, Eleazar fell through the laundry pile and into the 300 degree dryer where he died.

Amalia filed a personal injury lawsuit lawsuit against Cintas for the wrongful death of her husband. Although the matter was settled for a confidential amount, government records indicate that Cintas, whose 2008 revenue topped $4 billion, agreed to pay nearly $3 million in penalties in December of 2008 to resolve federal occupational safety violations in six separate cases.

How can a wrongful death lawyer help you?

Wrongful death lawsuits can be filed due to negligence, product liability, medical malpractice and other causes of action and recoverable wrongful death damages might include compensation for lost care, support, benefits, inheritance and more.

However, applying your state's law can be complicated – and that's where an experienced wrongful death attorney can help. He or she can evaluate your situation and determine if you are eligible to bring such a wrongful death lawsuit, whether there is enough evidence that the defendant caused the wrongful death, what kind of damages might be recoverable and the best strategy to settle or litigate your case.