Back Injury Checklist
Back injuries can happen in many different ways, and they can involve the muscle, ligaments, spine or other joints or tissues. Some back injuries result from repeated small injuries, bad posture, or improper lifting or bending, but the most serious back injuries are usually the result of accidents, such as automobile accidents, slip and fall accidents and work-related accidents. If you have suffered an injury to your back, following a few simple steps will improve your chances of getting the full compensation you deserve:
- Get the right medical treatment - Seeking medical assistance for your injury is a priority. Seeking medical attention immediately will help you understand the extent of your injury, plan out the treatment you will need, and get an idea of the costs associated with your recovery.
- Identify the parties responsible for the accident - In order to receive the compensation you deserve, you will need to identify who is responsible for the injury.
- Value your back injury claim - There are many types of damages available to you after an injury, so it is important you identify all your costs / losses and properly value your claim before taking action.
- Be careful with insurance adjusters - Anything you say and do after an accident can affect your insurance claim or lawsuit. Be careful when speaking to insurance professionals or attorneys - any indication that you contributed to the accident or that your injuries are not severe will impact the case. If you are uncomfortable with questioning, you can politely request time to speak with an attorney before going forward.
- Be wary of settlement offers - As you pursue compensation for your injury, you will likely receive settlement offers from an insurance company or the party responsible for the accident. Keep in mind that once you sign a settlement offer you cannot pursue any further compensation, so be wary of signing one until you know the full value of your claim and the strength of your legal position.
- Pursue the right legal action - Whether you need to file an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit, you will need to follow proper procedures. Before taking action, understand what options are available to you, know what procedural steps and deadlines you need to follow, and take the time to avoid making mistakes that will prevent you from recovering compensation.
- Contact an attorney - Personal injury attorneys are available to assist you as you attempt to recover damages for a back injury. Pursuing insurance money or a legal judgment can be a complicated process, and you will likely face opposition that has significant experience in defending back injury claims. An attorney can be a valuable asset in your recovery, particularly if your injury is serious.