Meridia Lawsuits, Litigation & Lawyers What You Should Know
Both of the 2002 events happened in March, and by the end of that month the first Meridia lawsuits were filed. The Meridia litigation was generally aimed at Abbott Laboratories and claimed that Abbott knew or should have known about the potentially dangerous effects of Meridia, but did not warn against them. Damages have been sought for both deaths caused by Meridia and for serious, but non-fatal, side effects like heart attacks and strokes
Meridia lawsuits have run into some difficulties with proof. In July of 2004 113 cases against Abbott Laboratories were dismissed by a federal judge in Ohio. The judge ruled that the plaintiffs had not produced enough proof to show that they had been harmed by the drug. There were at least 4 Meridia lawsuits still pending in state court at that time.
Fast Forward To September 2010: Meridia Lawsuits Continue; FDA May Remove Drug From Market
The FDA may decide to finally remove Meridia from the market after editors at the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) said the diet drug was flawed and urged the FDA to take it off the market. The editors' comments surrounded a September 2010 study by the London School of Hygiene & Topical Medicine. The study analyzed 10,744 overweight or obese people with heart issues or type 2 diabetes who took Meridia. It concluded that a staggering 4.1% (or 440) of those suffered a heart attack and 2.6% (or 279) suffered a stroke.
Check out the following articles for more information about Meridia, filing a Meridia lawsuit and finding a Meridia attorney:
- For more information about Meridia, see Drug Overview: Meridia Side Effects and Claims
- To find out more about the FDA warning, see Meridia Side Effects and Risks
- For more information about Meridia side effects, see Meridia Side Effects – Cardiovascular Problems
- For more information about Meridia updates, see Meridia Information and Warnings
- To learn more about Meridia attorneys and how to find one, see Hiring a Meridia Attorney and Lawyer