Gadolinium Manufacturers Settling Lawsuits
Gadolinium manufacturers such as Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, General Electric, Tyco Healthcare and Bracco Diagnostics have been sued by hundreds of injured victims alleging that they’ve contracted serious skin and organ conditions after using the companies’ products while undergoing MRIs (magnetic resonance imaging) and MRAs (magnetic resonance angiography). One of those companies is now settling cases – and the others are likely to follow.
Contrast dye product liability cases are settling
That seems to be the case according to various credible news agencies. According to Bloomberg news and Reuters, Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals has begun to settle gadolinium cases over its contrast dye agent, Magnevist. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Bayer alone alleging that patients developed serious skin conditions known as Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis (NSF) and Nephrogenic Fibrosing Dermopathy (NFD) which, according to an FDA (U.S. Food & Drug Administration) alert, symptoms may include:
- For the bones, joints and muscles: joint stiffness; limited range of motion in the arms, hands, legs, or feet; pain deep in the hip bone or ribs; and/or muscle weakness
- For the skin: burning or itching, reddened or darkened patches; and/or skin swelling, hardening and/or tightening
- For the eyes: yellow raised spots on the whites of the eyes
Other manufacturers likely to follow
While Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals is the only manufacturer reportedly settling lawsuits, other manufacturers such as Bracco Diagnostics, GE Healthcare and Tyco Healthcare are likely to follow suit. Lawsuits against these companies allege that they knew about the dangers of gadolinium based contrast agents and their links to NSF/NFD for years, but failed to warn consumers.
Here’s a list of manufacturers, their products and links to additional information:
- Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals – Magnevist
- Bracco Diagnostics Products – Prohance and Multihance
- GE Healthcare – Omniscan
- Tyco Healthcare – Optimark
Find out more
If you’ve been injured due to a gadolinium based contrast agent, contact an experienced products liability attorney whose practice focuses in drug litigation to discuss your situation.