Transvaginal Mesh and Painful Intercourse

As we age, we expect our bodies to embrace natural changes and we often deal with special challenges. However, pain during sexual intercourse (also known as “dyspareunia”) is not considered to be a standard part of getting older. Generally speaking, sex should not be hurtful, and when it does cause pain, it can have a damaging effect on relationships, cause emotional distress, and greatly diminish a woman’s quality of life. For women who have had transvaginal mesh (TV mesh) implanted for the treatment of pelvic organ prolapse (POP) or stress urinary incontinence (SUI), pain during sex may be a sign of a greater problem.

Transvaginval mesh is a synthetic mesh and was not originally intended for use in the vaginal wall. Synthetic mesh can shrink, crack, and harden. Additionally, the erosion of transvaginal mesh can cause scar tissue formation, fistula formation, and infections, all of which can cause pain during sexual intercourse. When erosion occurs, fragments of the mesh become sharp and may cut the tissues of the vaginal wall or surrounding organs. Some women suffer from numerous infections and chronic pain, including pain during intercourse.

Transvaginal mesh is placed in the fascial layer between the front wall of the vagina and the bladder, an area that is typically designed to expand when necessary. Synthetic mesh can, however, contract and hinder the natural movement in that part of the body. This contradiction can lead a woman to develop severe pelvic pain, which naturally causes painful sexual intercourse, or a complete inability to engage in sexual intercourse at all. Men are also affected by this condition. Exposure to eroded mesh and/or mesh that is extruding into the vagina, can cause pain for men as well. Sexual intercourse may not be possible, leading to a possible breakdown in intimate relationships and the emotional distress that follows.

If you’re a woman that has been affected by Transvaginal Mesh and has had complications with painful intercourse, contact an attorney that specializes in this area to determine if you might be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related damages.